Also known as Bruxism, teeth grinding is a condition in which a person clencheS or grinds their teeth. People suffering from this condition may be unconsciously clenching their teeth when they are stressed or grinding them while asleep. For sleep bruxism, experts consider it as a movement disorder related to sleeping. Individuals who grind or clench their teeth while asleep will have a higher likelihood of developing other sleep disorders such as snoring and sleep apnea.
Although mild teeth grinding usually doesn’t require treatment, the more severe ones will have to because it can lead to headaches, jaw disorders, damaged teeth and much more. Many people are not aware that they have bruxism while asleep but you can still know the signs and symptoms of its existence.
Symptoms of Bruxism/Teeth Grinding
- The clenching or grinding of teeth, sometimes loud enough to wake up your sleeping partner
- You notice that you have loose, chipped, fractured or flattened teeth
- The existence of worn tooth enamel which exposes the layers of a tooth
- Increased sensitivity or pain in your tooth
- The jaw is tight or tired and won’t open or close fully
- Soreness and pain in the neck, face or ja
- Headaches and migraines that begin at the temples
- Disruption in sleep for unknown reasons
- Any damage from chewing found inside the cheek
When Should I See a Dentist?
You should schedule an appointment with a trusted dentist if you notice any of the symptoms that have been listed above or if you have any other concerns regarding your jaw or teeth. If you notice your child is also grinding their teeth or have other symptoms of bruxism, make sure you mention this at their next dental appointment.
Dr Flora can suggest some therapies to help address the causes of teeth grinding and, if necessary, fit a custom-made dental guard to be worn while sleeping. Balmain Dental is the perfect place to visit if you’re looking to get help with any of your dental problems today.
So if you’re suffering from excessive grinding of your teeth, book a consultation with us today!